San Mateo, California
CAMICO's Professional Liability Claims Specialists are responsible for investigating, evaluating and resolving accountant professional liability claims and employment practice liability claims and assisting policyholders with potential claims in conformance with CAMICO’s claim handling philosophy and guidelines.
This is a position specialized in risk management and dispute resolution for Certified Public Accountants, however our policyholders provide a wide range of professional services to their clients, including tax preparation, tax compliance, bookkeeping, audits, financial planning, investment advice, trustee services, executor services, consulting and litigation support.
This position is available in our San Mateo, CA office.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
• Manage an inventory of accountant professional liability claims and employment practice liability claims (including demands, tolling agreements, arbitrations and litigation) and other matters (including regulatory proceedings and disciplinary hearings) in all jurisdictions around the United States. Manage claims from notice to resolution, including investigating, evaluating and communicating: background; allegations; coverage; retention of defense counsel; liability; damages; exposure; reserves; disposition plan; settlement negotiations; and trial resolution.
• Possibly manage a small number of employment practice liability claims.
• Provide subpoena services and handle potential claims through our Claims hotline, providing direct assistance and guidance to our policyholders.
• Demonstrate strong communication skills with policyholders, claimants, attorneys and experts to ensure superior customer service and policyholder support.
• Comply with internal guidelines and statutory requirements for claims handling.
• Work closely with other Departments, including Loss Prevention, Underwriting, Sales, Marketing, Finance, Customer Support, Information Technology and Human Resources.
• Maintain up to date knowledge of legal, insurance and accounting developments.
• Key competencies include: - Policyholder Focus; Ethics and Values; Integrity and Trust; Action Oriented; Problem Solving; Decision Quality; Dealing with Ambiguity; Negotiating; Composure; Conflict Management; and Presentation Skills.
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities, although it will be necessary to provide other staff members and outside vendors with guidance, assistance, mentoring and/or direction as appropriate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Required Education, Experience and/or Qualifications
• College degree or university program certificate.
• Minimum of 5+ years of experience in insurance or legal environment.
• Third party insurance claims handling experience, preferably with experience in professional liability claims, or equivalent business, accounting or legal experience.
• Coverage experience, preferably with experience on professional liability claims or on ‘claims made and reported’ policy forms, including ability to prepare coverage letters.
• Knowledge of legal processes and principles of professional liability laws is preferred. • Understanding of accounting and/or tax terminology is preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as discounts, interest, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions. Ability to understand and report financial reserve and payment information.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables. Ability to integrate data into valid plans of action and lead them to conclusion.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Required if handling claims in certain jurisdictions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.br />
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, perception vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Employees in this position are occasionally required to travel by car and/or airplane on business related matters.
* Telephoning - transmitting as well as receiving
* Use of PC for an extended period
* Nonsmoking area
* Professional appearance
* Writing and typing abilities
* Ability to use office machines - ie. copy machines, scanners, printers
* Use of public transportation (rental car, bus, taxi, airplane, and train)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
CAMICO encourages the health and financial well-being of its employees by providing a comprehensive benefits program to meet the personal needs of its employees and their families. A partial list of CAMICO's comprehensive benefit program includes:
- Medical (Blue Cross PPO plans, HSA Plans & Kaiser HMO & HSA)
- Group Life
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Savings Program with Employer Match
- 9 paid holidays plus 1 floater